Addictions (Alcohol, Drugs, Mobile, Internet Games)
De-addiction Clinic for alcohol, drugs, mobile and gaming addiction
The role of de-addiction clinic involves the following :
- Screening for alcohol and or drug related problems.
- Assessment of the patient with alcohol and or drug misuse.
- Giving drinking advice (for alcohol) and harm minimization advice (for drugs).
- Blood testing and urine screening.
- Planning treatment in alcohol and drug misuse – Detoxification or ‘detox’, involves taking a short course of a medicine. This helps to prevent withdrawal symptoms when you stop drinking alcohol or taking drugs. This may be clinic based, with psychological support, symptomatic medication or reducing substitute medication, or as an inpatient (needing admission) for severe dependence on alcohol and drugs.
- Monitoring to maintain abstinence in the long term, using medications, counseling, and support.
In selected patients, spending time in a residential or a hospital facility may offer a period of abstinence (staying dry of alcohol or drugs), which is unachievable ‘outside’, allowing treatments in physical and mental health, and a chance to plan social change to stay off alcohol and drugs. For such patients with severe dependence, we have inpatient hospital beds for ‘Inpatient detoxification’.